How to use Pinterest for marketing is a question that should be on your mind if you have a visually interesting product or your market is largely women.
I recently posted an informal Facebook poll asking the question: Pinterest or Instagram? Like all thing internet, the results were surprisingly contentious.
And guess what?
No one on my Facebook profile preferred Instagram! That’s right. Not a single person opted for Instagram over Pinterest.
Much has been said about Pinterest’s popularity among women, so if your business or target market is oriented toward women, Pinterest should interest you (get it?).
This post will explain how Pinterest can:
- Benefit your business
- Be used for marketing and provide some
- Pinterest pro tips
I’ll also throw in a word or two about Pinterest’s analytics because, after all, if you aren’t measuring, it isn’t marketing.
How Pinterest Builds Your Business
Pinterest can help build your business by:
- Driving traffic to your website
- Promoting engagement
- Providing awesome market research opportunities and
- Telling your brand story through images
Pinterest is a woman and lifestyle driven social media channel. Your brand will do best if it is (or can be):
- Appealing to women and
- Visually interesting
Pro tip: An absolute must is great photography and graphics. Don’t skimp on these!
How to Use Pinterest for Marketing
Start by using Pinterest for marketing in these five ways:
- Set up a business account. Having a business account means, among other things, that you can feature your website right on your profile. In order to enable Pinterest Web Analytics, you must verify your site.
- Engagement. Pinterest is a great venue for contests. Here is a great post about how to hold a contest on Pinterest.
- Research. Look at how people are pinning your images. Because pins can be pinned and repinned, you can find out how other people contextualize your products. Of course, you can also do searches on Pinterest to find out about competing products.
- Pinterest SEO. Use keywords and hashtags to help your pins become “findable.”
- Pinterest Web Analytics. Pinterest has great web analytics and lots of tutorials to go with it. Watch this Pinterest Web Analytics tutorial to get started.
Pinterest is great for marketing because of its popularity, potential for engagement and because the platform is set up to accommodate businesses like yours.
Pinterest Pro Tips
Here are some Pinterest pro tips that will enhance your marketing experience:
Pro tip #1: Learn the ins and outs of how to pin. Remember, since you are dealing with content and images, it’s important to source what you use. Here is a great tutorial that will provide you with all 411 you need to be a great — and legal — pinner.
Pro tip #2: Use your own content. And make sure it links to your website so that you will be driving traffic where you want it. I know that make seem obvious, but it had to be said.
Pro tip #3: Use alt tags. Alt tags are the descriptions that come with photos. The person pinning your image may not edit the description. In that case, your alt tags will be the default. So make sure they use keywords that describe your product and brand and that they sound professional.
Pro tip #4: Don’t forget to add pin it buttons. If you have an e-commerce site, adding pin it buttons to your products helps everyone share your good news.
Pro tip #5: Get more followers. Search for one of your keywords or products and then click on “boards.” Follow the boards of people who are already in your niche. Pinterest has a much higher “follow back” rate than Twitter and is less restrictive than Facebook or LinkedIn.
Now that you you know a little bit more about Pinterest, it’s time to get started. Happy pinning!
Can Pinterest help your company market its products and services?
Barai, Malhar. 5 SEO Tricks for Pinterest. Malhar Barai. January 23, 2013.
Johnson, LB. Pins About Pinterest. Pinterest board.
Leonard, Katherine. Pinterest as a Marketing Tool. lonelybrand. May 29, 2013.
Photo credit: Roxanne Ready
Latest posts by Anna Colibri (see all)
- 13 Promotion Tips to Increase Blog Traffic & Become Your Own Best Publicist - December 17, 2014
- Good Books to Read for Business & Pleasure * December 2014 - December 10, 2014
- Don’t Tell Digital Marketing Secrets Revealed! - December 5, 2014